Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Credit Cards

The best way to pay for things while traveling is with your credit card because then your credit card company negotiates the best exchange rate and believe me they can do it a lot better then you can! :)

....but CC companies are suspicious of purchases made in places outside of your typical purchase area so it's always a good idea to let them know where you'll be traveling to BEFORE you leave so your card doesn't get locked up.

It's also good to take multiple types of credit cards. Visa, Mastercard, AMEX b/c if you only take one and they don't take it then you're outta luck!

Lastly, get to the airport early and exchange money before you leave. It's easier to do in the U.S. and there are no guarantees you'll be able to do it when you get there and chances are you're gonna need cash right away.






2 comments:

Alex Robb said...

You can get an AMEX card through Costco - that's cool. I used to pay $50 a year to be a member way back when. Now its part of your membership and you get money back on gas, hotels, and other purchases. Usually get $250 and more back every year! Pays sales tax.

Blessings, Alex

Jessica said...

When I left for an extended overseas trip, I had my bank order money from the first country I was visiting. I am not sure if I got the best exchange rate, but I did not have to worry about exchanging money at the last minute or at the airport, where you never know how long the lines are going to be.

Jessica